Saturday, March 30, 2013

Writing about Wars {by the way, this is 101th post}

*THIS POST ISN'T GOING TO BE GORY OR ANYTHING OF THE SORT. If you are uncertain about reading it I would suggest having a friend or family member read it first and then tell you if they would suggest reading it {Or just skip it. That's good too. It's all good down here where our subs are made fresh.}.*

I wanted to post about this.
As some of you may or may not know, most of my second Snow White is where my character are living in a war zone. Obviously, people die in wars. It's sad, yes, but it's the truth.

Back to topic. Writing about wars can be hard. I have a very, very soft heart and I know it was hard for me.

A few things:
I don't add the gory details. I try to make my characters' deaths as quickly as possible. They lived a happy life, they died a noble death. I note that they die, my main character was a part of that scene, and that's it.

I think there's something about this:
I honestly don't want to write about wars in modern time. Obviously, they happen as often as medieval wars did {the time period of my story}. But I think it's easier to write about wars if you write about them in a different time period. Or in space, with weapons that don't even exist. I prefer to have my characters armed with swords. Not guns.

I stick to the basics. My characters die swiftly with hits to places that will make them die as soon as possible. They die ONLY with a sword. It's simple, and a whole lot easier to write about.

I keep to a minimum how many main-ish characters I kill off. In wars, people do die. Lots of them. I admit, I tend to have more ''mentioned only once or twice'' characters die than my main characters. It is easier to read and write if most of the dead characters are characters who weren't too important {to the story}. Of course though, I can't keep all of my likeable main characters safe. For my story's sake, I have to sacrifice a few of my favorites.

One thing I like to keep in mind:
This is fiction. Wars are real, but most often the wars you're writing about are fiction. When I think of that, it also makes it easier to kill main characters. None of my story happened, or will happen {I seriously doubt talking mutant animals will fight wars in the future, but I could be wrong ;)}. 


So what do y'all think? {and happy Easter!}

~Madeline~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! So glad that you dropped by to read our stories. How did you like them? Just a few things before you post--please keep everything clean and G rated, as this is a blog that I hope to be open for all ages of readers. Also, be nice in what you post. And thank you! We love to hear your comments.

Sincerely,
Anna, your admin

All photos via pinterest or google images (including used for designing & favicon) unless otherwise stated.